In the final week of our project, we began putting together all the pieces of what we had worked on.
Monday, our 3D prints failed again because of a power outage over the weekend. We recalculated our estimates of how much lift the balloons will generate and found that it might be appropriate to attach multiple balloons together.
Monday, we continued to experiment with the vertical propeller and found that the center was unsupported causing the motor to spin around an unstable axis and erode the frame further. We reprinted the propeller case with a wider, thicker base which should fix this issue. We also inflated our first balloon with air to experiment…
Monday, we began working on our LTA Drone project.
Monday, we continued working on independent CAD modeling, where I continued modeling a multi-story building. It took me awhile to figure out the shell command, but I eventually got it. We quickly moved on to circuitry, where I learned about resistors and Ohm’s law.
Before my first day at Cooper Union, I was nervous that I would be disappointed. Enjoying the freedom of my summer vacation, I worried that Cooper Union Summer STEM would struggle — like school — to create an engaging, challenging, and independent engineering program. This has not been the case: